Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Buffalo

I had a fun actors day last week. Started out with a commercial audition for Ava Shevit at the new studio in Santa Monica. Very cool design inside and even though I'm not thrilled about the location I did manage to get the absolute best rock-star parking spot (patrons of Hooter's patio could hit my car with a wadded up napkin). After some work on my scene for class I was off to The Casting Studios to read for Ross Lacey. Both auditions felt good, no callbacks so far though. I'm trying to up my callback ratio & may take a commercial-specific class to brush up on the old skills. And it's one of the reasons I'm psyched to be back in a "regular" acting class again.

Speaking of class, I've been back studying with Bill Howey for 5 weeks now and it's been great. Thursday night was the 3rd time up with a scene from American Buffalo: a favorite play from a favorite author. We came out pretty strong, incorporating a few notes from last week, then talked for a bit, got some more notes and (if I can blow my own horn a bit) then just nailed it. You actors out there understand the feeling. Non-actors may continue to think I'm full of California-Hippie-Talk ... which is kinda true anyway. It's been a year & 1/2 since I've been in a regular class and my confidence & I are quite happy to be in this one. If you are looking for a place to study, I highly recommend Bill.

No comments: